Friday, July 30, 2010

Drumgasm!



If I had to describe today in one word it would be "Awesome" . However the awesome part only started half-way through the day (the remainder was utilized in practice and stupid-titties) i.e. The Crazy Stuff Clinic conducted by Gino Banks and Hamza 'icanplaybleed' Kazi. Now, if I had to describe this clinic in one word it would be "Madness". Modulation, Displacement, Odd-time Signatures, Polyrhythms. You name it.

A very clear explanation of Odd-time meters and Polyrhythms was given by Hamza (since that is his forte). Modulation and Displacement was explained by Mr. Banks and unfortunately it was too complex to be understood by a beginner/novice drummer such as myself. I did learn a few things though viz. Counting Odd-time signatures, Polyrhythms and Displacement to a small extent, So it's all good. The highlights of this clinic were the Hindi alt/prog rock band Coshish (who by the way are a bunch of crazy musicians including Hamzoid MUST.LISTEN.TO : Maya and the toolesque Mukti), two explosive drum solo's by Gino and my favorite part: The two dual drum solos by the ingenious drumming pair

Topics were demonstrated on two beautiful drumkits: Mapex Meridian Birch (Hamza's) and Tama Starclassic (Gino's) and their respective cymbal brands: Paiste (H) and Zildjian (G)

I was in drumming heaven *ihihihihihihi*

All this followed by a sumptuous meal (read: Beef Double Chilly Fry and Parathas) at Cafe Wellington. Whattey nice day I had. :D

Thank you Gino Banks, Hamza Kazi and Furtados for this crazy clinic

I'll be gone now. Toodles!

-CJs [♫ Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches (alternate take)]

P.S. Gino's first solo gave me a mild headache due to his sheer awesomeness. It also kicked my brains outta my fucking head! The Dual Drum solo then, kicked it back in place :P

P.P.S. Laments of an Icarus and Bleism (Bleed + Schism) as demonstrated by Kazi bhai were also awesome (:

No comments:

Post a Comment